crispy fried chicken and fluffy waffles is a southern specialty that has become popular in various regions of the U.S.
Creating fried chicken and waffles at home combines the irresistible combination of crispy fried chicken with fluffy waffles. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make this classic comfort food:
For the Fried Chicken:
- Chicken pieces (such as bone-in thighs, drumsticks, or chicken tenders)
- Buttermilk (enough to marinate the chicken)
- Salt and pepper
- Flour (for dredging)
- Seasonings (such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Waffles:
- Waffle batter (you can use a pre-made mix or make your own)
- Butter (for greasing the waffle iron)
- Marinate the Chicken:
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and cover them with buttermilk. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour (or up to overnight) in the refrigerator. This helps tenderize the chicken and adds flavor.
- Prepare the Waffle Batter:
- If you’re using a pre-made waffle mix, follow the package instructions to prepare the batter. If making your own batter, mix the ingredients according to your preferred waffle recipe.
- Preheat the Waffle Iron:
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Dredge and Fry the Chicken:
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and your chosen seasonings for dredging the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, allowing any excess liquid to drip off.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the seasoned flour mixture, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- In a skillet or deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to about 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the coated chicken pieces into the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown and cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C). The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Cook the Waffles:
- Grease the preheated waffle iron with a bit of butter.
- Pour the waffle batter onto the iron and cook according to the waffle iron’s instructions until the waffles are golden and crisp.
- Assemble and Serve:
- Place a fried chicken piece on top of a cooked waffle.
- Serve the fried chicken and waffles together with your favorite accompaniments such as maple syrup, honey, hot sauce, or even gravy.
- The contrasting textures of crispy fried chicken and fluffy waffles, combined with sweet and savory flavors, make this dish a delightful and indulgent meal.
Feel free to customize this dish by adding your own twists, such as using different seasonings for the chicken or incorporating unique waffle toppings. Fried chicken and waffles make for a memorable brunch or dinner option that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.