Originating from the Cuban immigrant community in Florida, the Cuban sandwich features roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard, all pressed together in a Cuban bread.
Making a delicious Cuban sandwich at home is a delightful culinary endeavor. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you create your own Cuban sandwich:
- Cuban bread or baguette
- Roast pork (you can use leftover roasted pork or marinate and cook pork tenderloin/shoulder)
- Ham slices
- Swiss cheese slices
- Dill pickles, sliced
- Yellow mustard
- Butter (for grilling)
- Prepare the Roast Pork:
- If you’re not using leftover roast pork, marinate and cook your pork. You can marinate with citrus juices, garlic, cumin, and oregano, and then cook until tender and fully cooked. Slice the pork into thin pieces.
- Assemble the Cuban Sandwich:
- Start by slicing the Cuban bread or baguette horizontally, creating a top and bottom half.
- Lay the bottom half of the bread on a clean surface.
- Spread a thin layer of yellow mustard on the inside of the bread.
- Layer the Ingredients:
- Place a layer of roast pork slices on the bottom half of the bread.
- Add a layer of ham slices on top of the pork.
- Place Swiss cheese slices over the ham.
- Arrange dill pickle slices on top of the cheese.
- Top and Press:
- Place the top half of the bread over the pickles, creating a sandwich.
- Gently press down on the sandwich to compress the ingredients slightly.
- Grill the Sandwich:
- Preheat a sandwich press, panini press, or a skillet over medium heat.
- If using a skillet, melt a little butter in the skillet.
- Place the sandwich in the press or skillet and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. If using a skillet, press the sandwich down with a spatula while cooking.
- Flip and Cook the Other Side:
- If using a skillet, flip the sandwich carefully to toast the other side.
- Continue cooking until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is fully melted.
- Slice and Serve:
- Remove the sandwich from the press or skillet.
- Let it cool for a moment before slicing it diagonally into halves.
- Serve your homemade Cuban sandwich while it’s still warm and the cheese is gooey.
Cuban sandwiches are often enjoyed with plantain chips or French fries on the side. They are known for their savory, tangy, and slightly sweet flavor profile. The combination of roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard creates a mouthwatering and satisfying sandwich that you can recreate in your own kitchen.